If you’ve been out of work for an extended period of time, finding employment again can seem like an impossible feat. Despite the stressors of losing your job or being unemployed for personal reasons, there are several steps you can take to maintain your spirits and learn job skills while rediscovering new career opportunities. Here are some tips to help you beat the odds and find a job when you’ve been unemployed.
Finding a New Job IS Your New Job
- Devote all your free time and energy to your job search.
- Wake up early, shower and change as if you were going to work. This will not only keep you in the habit of waking up early when you do find work, but it will also motivate your job search.
- Your daily responsibilities should include finding new job openings, following up with recruiters and reaching out to your network.
Review Your Resume
- Reformat your resume to list your skills and abilities first instead of job experience. This takes the focus off the length of time you’ve been unemployed.
- When listing your job experiences, list your most current job first.
- Add any relevant experience, such as going back to school, training classes you took or volunteering, to show what you’ve been doing while unemployed.
Plan Ahead for Interviews
- Research everything you can about the companies you’re applying to in case they should call about an interview.
- Be prepared to explain gaps in your work history.
- Have questions prepared for the employer to show you’re interested.
- Always frame the gaps in your work history and the circumstances for why you’ve been unemployed in a positive light.
Refresh Your Job Skills
- Consider updating your computer skills or knowledge about new technology.
- Contact Horizon Goodwill Industries. Our Career Development Services and Job Training Programs help identify and build on your work skills and interests to help you pursue a fulfilling career. We’ll guide you in the search for jobs that match your interests and abilities, and provide support and assistance as you re-enter the world of work.
Follow Up on Applications
- Wait a week or two after submitting an application to follow up.
- Send a follow-up email, call or visit in person to reaffirm your interest in the job.
- It is acceptable to mention a few reasons why you’re interested and why you’re the right candidate for the job.
- If the company is not ready to interview yet, ask when they are so you can follow up again at that time.
Horizon Goodwill Industries is here and ready to support you as you make the transition back into the world of work. To begin the journey of finding your next job, click here.