March marks Employee Spirit Month. What are you doing to raise the spirits of your employees and create a positive work environment?
At Horizon Goodwill Industries, we believe when an individual has a job, his/her life works. While a major part of our core services include helping individuals with disabilities or other barriers find a job, we also match employers with skilled workers to grow their businesses. In addition, we provide encouragement, support and assistance once our clients enter the world of work, and we urge all employers to do the same.
As a business owner, supervisor or manager, you know it takes hard work and commitment from every employee for your business to succeed. Each individual you hire can make or break your company. Throughout this month, we encourage all employers, large and small, to take steps to ensure your employees enjoy working for you, remain inspired to be productive and feel valued on your team.
Here are 10 ways you can boost morale and encourage a happy, healthy working environment at your office.
- Set a good example: Stick to your word, maintain a positive attitude, and be approachable at all times.
- Let your employees know how they are doing. Congratulate and recognize them when they’ve completed a project well. Likewise, provide feedback and suggestions on how to improve if you’re disappointed in their work.
- Celebrate special milestones, events, and accomplishments in the lives of your employees: birthdays, engagements, weddings, births, and anniversaries.
- Listen to your employees. Paying close attention to their needs, issues and personal stories shows respect, support, and trust.
- Communicate clearly, frequently and in person. This ensures everyone is on the same page and keeps your employees in the loop as much as possible.
- Don’t be afraid to experiment. Encourage your employees to try innovative, risky ideas, take on new responsibilities, and share their own advice.
- Give them plenty of room to grow. Encourage your employees to attend training seminars, conferences and other developmental opportunities to help them evolve within your company.
- Offer incentives for a job well done. This could be anything from a free lunch to a half-day on Friday for meeting an important deadline.
- Encourage a good work-life balance. Be open and flexible. Encourage breaks throughout the day so your employees don’t feel overwhelmed and overworked.
- Have fun! Make team-building events, community service projects, themed parties or after-work get-togethers a regular part of your schedule.